The Church in Weem was completed in 1875 by Sir Robert Menzies as St. David’s Episcopal Chapel for the Menzies family and adopted by the Church of Scotland in 1921 as the Parish Church of Weem. The two parishes of Dull and Weem were linked in 1965 and that linkage with Aberfeldy Parish in 1989.
The Church has recently been upgraded, the heating and lighting reburbished and upgrading is continually monitored to keep abreast of the building and fire regulations. The upgrades were financed by the generous efforts of members of the congregation and friends of the Church. Attached to the church building is a parish room, known as the MacDonald Room, which has recently been enlarged to accommodate the activities of an increased congregation. This facility is also available for hire by local groups, as approved by the Kirk Session.
The village and surrounding area has a population of around 60 mainly residential, with a strong farming influence. As well as residential housing, the village has the Old Kirk of Weem (Clan Menzies Mausoleum) and graveyard, Weem Hotel and Weem Farm.
The Church membership consists of members of many ages from the immediate catchment area, who have supported the Church generously for many years. Additionally, many others – the bulk of the regular Sunday congregation – live in Aberfeldy and the surrounding villages. The Church Roll stands at the moment with 114 members and 22 adherents. A large proportion of these are regular attenders at Sunday Worship, with a usual congregation of between 50 and 60.
Financially the Church is in good shape, with a good proportion of the weekly offerings being augmented by the Gift Aid scheme. Over the past year a fund-raising appeal has been made to deal with problems caused by the age of the building. This was a magnificent effort, involving all the members of the church, as well as many outwith the congregation, and the final result was almost twice the targeted amount.
Pastoral care is carried out by members of the Session and Guild. There is also a Fabric Committee and a Gardening Team which maintains the Church Gardens and carries out any small repairs in and around the Church. There are 11 members of the Kirk Session, and as officer bearers, Roll Keeper, Session Clerk, Treasurer, Shared Safeguarding Officer and Property Convener. The Stated Annual Meeting takes place in the nearby village hall at Camserney, and is a well-attended event at which, in addition to the business of the meeting, refreshments are served and a ‘social; held with group singing, soloists, readings and old-fashioned party games.
At the moment there are no families with young children in the congregation, but a Bible Class for the younger church goers is held on some Sunday mornings.
The Sunday worship is always scripture based for our weekly Sermons. Sunday Worship begins at 10.00 am; this is always a joyous occasion with children and visitors made very welcome and laughter quite often the order of the day. The congregation meets after morning service for tea, coffee and fellowship in the MacDonald room. Holy Communion is celebrated twice a year: Spring and Autumn, and is open to all.
Various organists provide accompaniment to the worship at the services. The organ in use today is the original instrument designed, built and installed in June1875 – for the princely sum of £366 9/- by J.W. Walker & Sons of London, now based in Suffolk. In November 1876, additional music stops were added at a cost of some £63 9.8d. The organ underwent a major refurbishment in 1994 and with twice yearly tuning, the instrument is well maintained. Our main organist leads our church choir, made up of members of the congregation and they contribute to the services at festival times and other occasions.
At Easter and Christmas, some services are held jointly with the church in Aberfeldy and there is an annual Christmas Eve service in Weem which is always well attended by people from throughout the parish area. Being based in a farming community, we also celebrate Harvest Thanksgiving with a special service.
Throughout most of the year a small but active Guild holds monthly meetings with various guest speakers, as well as being much involved with catering for events outwith the Sunday services.
A monthly information sheet is produced giving hymns, readings, duties and Church events over the month.
The church also organises a Summer barbecue held in the church grounds. This, like all the activities of the church, is open to the wider community is well supported throughout the area.
For more information, please click on the link below